HOUSING ATTORNEY – FULL TIME
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (MMLA) is seeking two full-time staff attorneys as part of the Minneapolis Housing Unit. This position allows for a hybrid work environment and will start soon after an offer is extended.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
- Apply the principles of MMLA's Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Focus on civil litigation in housing law to defend evictions, secure safe and healthy housing, and prevent housing discrimination in court and administrative settings.
- Professionally maintain an active litigation caseload, including numerous hearings and trials.
- Additional duties as assigned, including complex litigation, policy advocacy, and community education.
- Must be licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota, registered to take the Minnesota Bar Examination, or eligible for admission by reciprocity.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs of low income and vulnerable clients.
- Commitment to working as a team member to serve client needs and desire to appear in court to litigate client rights.
- Excellent analytical and written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required.
- Diverse economic, social, and cultural experiences preferred.
- Language proficiency, especially Arabic, Hmong, Oromo, Somali, or Spanish, preferred.
- Legal training, knowledge of community resources, and experience with case management software preferred.
SALARY: $55,000 to $65,000 per year, depending on experience, plus benefits. Benefits include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATIONS: Submit resume, cover letter expressing interest in the position, three job-related references, and a writing sample online at https://mylegalaid.org/employment. Applications received by March 10, 2023, will receive first consideration, but applications received after March 10, 2023, will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Micaela Schuneman at email@example.com.
Please direct all other inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.