Status: Full-time regular position, exempt
Pay: $101,109 - $131,435 annually
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), may vary based on business needs
Reporting Relationship: Reports to City Engineer
Public Works Department
The Public Works Department is comprised of Engineering, Water Treatment Plant, Utility Field Operations, Street Maintenance and Fleet Services. The department is responsible for environmental management and design, construction, and maintenance of the street, wastewater, water, stormwater and transportation infrastructure systems in the community.
The Assistant City Engineer supports the City Engineer in managing, mentoring, and coaching the engineering staff to perform the division’s goals and objectives of planning, designing, constructing, and maintaining the city’s public infrastructure systems. This position will also focus on planning, managing, and implementing a variety of transportation related projects. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Supports the City Engineer in managing the overall direction and operation of the Engineering Division; assists in the development and implementation of consistent Public Works/Engineering strategies, policies, and practices and conveys information to staff and outside stakeholders.
- Manages a team of Engineering Technicians and/or other direct reports as assigned; mentors staff and provides training opportunities through work assignments; manages and provides leadership to other engineering staff regarding project work needs; and assists with plan reviews, operation and maintenance strategies, and asset management.
- Works collaboratively with the public and resolves resident and business issues related to planning, design, construction, maintenance, traffic, or other infrastructure issues; responds to and resolves issues related to community transportation systems; reviews traffic studies, travel demand management plans and technical specifications.
- Manages a full range of public and transportation infrastructure projects; works closely with all stakeholders to determine technical design solutions; directs and administers consultant and construction contracts; develops and reviews construction plans, agreements, and specifications for various infrastructure improvements.
- Plans future city infrastructure needs and projects for State, County, City, or others and assists with development of Capital Improvement Program and budget.
- Manages and collaborates with outside agencies regarding City issues and concerns related to State, County, or other public infrastructure projects; assist with municipal state aid system requirements and procedures.
- Prepares technical written documents including feasibility studies, technical reports, memorandums, agreements, and specifications.
- Monitors current technology and regulations related to traffic and transportation systems; develops and recommends policies related to traffic controls; coordinates and serves as liaison between County/State traffic agencies and city maintenance staff related to signals, timing, coordination, striping, and signage.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Municipal Engineering or related field required; Professional Engineering License required; Professional Traffic Operations Engineer certification preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of five years of experience working in a civil engineering position required; two years of experience in municipal engineering preferred. Minimum of three years of direct supervisory experience required. All experience must be reflected on application and resume.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) required; knowledge and experience with specialized engineering software preferred.
Physical Requirements: Physical efforts include mobility around an office environment; outdoor activities such as observing and navigating on, around and through public and private infrastructure (streets, utilities, buildings, etc.); meeting with property owners; and visiting construction sites, grading sites, and various environmental areas. The position requires an ability to operate a computer, office equipment, presentation equipment, and various other survey/outdoor equipment
Working Conditions: Most work involves a normal office environment with many out-of-office meetings with stakeholders and agencies. In addition, several outdoor activities occur where you are exposed to traffic impacts, uneven terrain, construction and grading sites/equipment, noise, dust, weather, etc. where safety equipment is required.
Position Specific Expectations
Hiring Talent: Makes appropriate staffing decisions based on the right mixture of facts; follows all legal requirements, policies and procedures; practices equal and fair treatment and opportunity for all; hires the best people; assembles a balanced and capable staff, and builds a network of resources; able to identify talent and potential; develops succession plans to anticipate and prepare for team change.
Problem Solving: Ability to tackle a problem by using logical, systematic, sequential approach; makes a systematic comparison of two or more alternatives; notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information; identifies a set of features, parameters or considerations to take into account in analyzing a situation or making a decision.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Technical Learning: Effective at acquiring skills, abilities and knowledge; quickly learns new industry, organization, and product information; has an aptitude for retaining and applying technical information; able to communicate techniques, software or product to others; is a quick study; able to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
Communication: Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today and about possibilities; can inspire and motivate others; provides direct, complete, actionable and positive feedback to others; able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect; effective in a variety of settings: small and large groups, with peers, direct reports, and management.
Project Management: Looks ahead to the future; identifies appropriate objectives and timelines; involves appropriate stakeholders; continuously monitors project and adapts scope as appropriate; measures results and analyzes outcome; follows through on commitments.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History and Driver’s License Check
- Education and work history verification
- Leadership Assessment
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City Application Process
Application Post Date: March 6th, 2023
Application Deadline Date: March 23rd, 2023, by 4:00pm (central time)
Review Applications/Schedule Interviews: Week of March 27th, 2023
First Round Interviews (Virtual): Wednesday, April 5th, 2023
Final Round Interviews (In-Person): Tuesday, April 18th, 2023
Pre-Employment Process: April 24th, 2023, through May 5th, 2023
Anticipated Start Date: June 5th, 2023