EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT DEPUTY ASSISTANT CONSUMER PROTECTION SECTION
- Minnesota Attorney General's Office
- Saint Paul, Minnesota
- Mar 17, 2023
- Apr 10, 2023
- Administrative / Clerical, Legal
- Job Type
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 03/17/2023
Closing Date: 04/10/2023
LA5 Salary Range: $22.67 - $33.41/hourly; $47,334 - $69,760/annually
LA6 Salary Range: $24.58 - $37.51/hourly; $51,323 - $78,320/annually
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recognized as a 2022 Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota and 2023 Top Workplace USA — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who chose public service as a calling, and we are actively building an internal culture that supports that calling.
The Office is seeking a Deputy Assistant to work exclusively in support of a Deputy Attorney General in the Consumer Protection Section in a close and confidential capacity. The position requires discretion, independent judgment, and initiative on nuanced and time-sensitive assignments.
The Deputy Assistant provides broad administrative support and helps to administer section functions and meet priorities, as follows:
- Maintains a busy deputy calendar requiring heavy scheduling resolving frequent scheduling conflicts
- Prioritizes, manages, and screens correspondence and communication, and maintains contact directory
- Conducts and manages special projects for the deputy
- Tracks deadlines, priorities, projects, task completion, division work, and key operational metrics to ensure efficient operation of section functions, including organizing and compiling data, researching facts, and coordinating information retrieval
- Professional and efficient contact with Office personnel, executive staff, visitors, members of the public, and others
- Other support for the deputy regarding complex administrative matters, including legal matter tracking, event registration, payroll and finance issues, travel arrangements, expense management, section budgets, contract administration, and other issues
- Prepares materials for meetings, projects, and work assignments (including review of items for completeness and deficiencies and addressing issues or requesting necessary items from others)
- Designs and oversees the implementation and streamlining of systems, procedures, and policies
- Reports, maintains files, and compiles accurate and updated records
- Legal documents and files/serves legal documents (electronically or conventionally, as required)
The Deputy Assistant will have regular contact with the Office’s executive, managerial, legal, and support staff; agency/department heads in government; business executives; other law enforcement agencies; and members of the public seeking assistance on complex matters.
- Prior experience and history of success in a similar legal assistant, legal secretary, administrative assistant, or executive assistant position; or demonstrated abilities in job summary items listed above
- Demonstrated abilities to manage multiple assignments, set priorities, use judgment, and adapt to changing conditions, with excellent organizational skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills (a cover letter is required with application submission)
- Intermediate or advanced proficiency in Office 365 applications including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint, and Outlook; and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to:
- Maintain confidentiality on items of a sensitive or privileged nature
- Perform responsibilities with a high level of professionalism and operate independently and with minimal supervision
- Be flexible and adaptive with changing needs of the deputy's section and work closely with section staff to ensure continuity of workflow
- Contribute positively to a team and work in a diverse, inclusive, creative, and collaborative work environment
- Post-secondary degree or education to enhance qualifications
- Project management experience or similar work history
- Ability to operate in virtual/remote, hybrid, and in-person work environments
- Knowledge of:
- Civil litigation process and law enforcement investigations Budget principles sufficient to manage budgets and forecast expenses
- Exceptional proofreading and editing skill
To be considered at the Legal Assistant 6 (LA6) level applicants must have 10 or more years related experience.
Why Work For Us
REAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long- term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation, and sick leave, and 12 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, fostering understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is April 10, 2023.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers
- Apply for Job ID 64054
- Direct Link
A cover letter is required with application submission
Contact If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Sarah Spence-Koivisto at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1050.