ASSISTANT ATTORNEY GENERAL – ENVIRONMENTAL AND NATURAL RESOURCES DIVISION
- Minnesota Attorney General's Office
- Saint Paul, Minnesota
- Mar 24, 2023
- Apr 18, 2023
- Job Type
- Employment Status
- Full Time
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 03/24/2023
Closing Date: 04/18/2023
S1 Salary Range: $32.33 - $50.22 / hourly; $67,505 - $104,859 / annually
S2 Salary Range: $39.80 - $58.82 / hourly; $83,102 - $122,816 / annually
S3 Salary Range: $44.77 - $72.37 / hourly; $93,479 - $151,108 / annually
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison — one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and recognized as a 2022 Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota and a 2023 Top Workplace USA — has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who could all work elsewhere but choose public service as a calling, and we are actively building an internal culture that supports that calling.
The Office is seeking to fill two litigation positions in its Environmental & Natural Resources (ENR) Division. The ENR Division represents state agencies, the Office, and the people of Minnesota in matters impacting the environment and the responsible uses of the State’s natural resources. The primary tasks of the appointed attorneys will be to represent State agencies in enforcement matters and their permitting and regulatory decisions.
The attorneys we seek for both positions will handle all aspects of a set of assigned cases – including dispositive motion practice, mediation, trial, and appeal. Because cases can be venued anywhere in the state, periodic travel throughout Minnesota may be required.
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA, licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota, and actively practicing law or clerking
- An interest in environmental law and protecting the State’s environment and natural resources
- Desire and interest in litigating autonomously and making strategic legal decisions as lead counsel on a diverse caseload
- Ability to:
- travel to counties throughout the state
- multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines
- contribute positively to a team and interact successfully with clients and members of the public
- work in an inclusive, creative, and collaborative work environment
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills (submission of a writing sample is required within a cover letter)
- Experience using electronic files and case management tools
To be considered at the Staff Attorney 2 (S2) level applicants must have 6 or more years of civil litigation experience or equivalent.
To be considered at the Staff Attorney 3 (S3) level applicants must have 12 or more years of civil litigation experience or equivalent.
- 2 years of direct civil litigation experience
- A background in environmental litigation or advocacy preferred but not required
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation, and sick leave, and 12 paid holidays each year.
Public service with this office may qualify applicants to have part of their student loans forgiven under a federal student loan forgiveness program for state government employees. (Visit www.studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service for more information.)
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, fostering understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is April 18, 2023
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 64264 (Direct Link)
- Please ensure to include a cover letter with a writing sample of up to five pages.
If you have questions, contact K.C. Moua at email@example.com or 651/757-1279.