This role is based in Minneapolis, MN
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America's leading retailers.
At the heart of one of the world's best loved and most recognizable brands is an impeccable Product Development & Design organization. We thrive on the magic of discovering that just-right thing, and we infuse everything we do with our passion for affordable chic. We concept, develop, make and deliver the stylish new favorites that Target guests expect and deserve. We are uber-savvy trend and style experts who stay ahead of the curve, proactively identifying our market's needs and exceeding them, every time. Join one of our dynamic and inventive teams to influence the style, quality and value that decisively position Target above the competition. Your input will have a direct and positive effect, whether on home, hardlines or apparel & accessories categories. Here, you'll be close to the action of dreaming up and bringing to life the Target-owned brands that surprise and gratify guests, wherever and whenever they love to shop.
A role with the Design
team means a big opportunity to start from scratch and create something truly original. Are you a design expert who can support your business by staying one step ahead of industry trends, new materials and techniques? Can you demonstrate the utmost attention to detail and create products that are unprecedented in the marketplace for their design and quality for the price? Then you'll have success on our Design team that owns the design and development of all Target-owned brands, from apparel to home goods, and beauty to essentials. In close partnership with our merchant and sourcing counterparts, you'll drive brand cohesion and continuity, ensuring that our products meet the merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points and overall creative direction.
The Concept Lab
team provides creative services to teams across the enterprise in order to bring new concepts to life. This capability includes designing, visualizing, engineering, prototyping and fabricating concepts in order for the teams we support can communicate with their partners, leaders or the guests. Can you work cross-functionally to develop new products or experiences? Are you a self-starter who can interpret thoughts and ideas into a wide range of designs? Do you incorporate feedback and iterate to assure you deliver what your partners need? Then take your place in a role in which your positive influence is felt throughout the entire product development life cycle, from new product & package innovation to ongoing product improvements and maintenance.
As an Industrial Designer on the Concept Lab
, under the guidance of the Design Director or Project Lead, you will support teams across the enterprise to bring concepts to life by interpreting ideas into visual assets as well as aid in the design/development of products or physical environments. You will translate ideas using hand sketches/CAD (other design visual techniques) and prototyping in order for our client teams to communicate with stakeholders. You will also work closely with the Engineering and Technical Design teams, to communicate construction details. You will be expected to maintain a diligent and self-directed approach to workload, and provide accurate and timely communication to internal and external partners.Team and Culture
- A diverse, inclusive and collaborative culture
- Empathy and understanding for teams we support
- Learning and experimenting with technology
- Curiosity to dig deep and understand client and consumer needs and assumptions
As an Industrial Designer
on this team you will have an opportunity to:
- Work with a passionate team that is leading change within the enterprise
- Create visual assets (sketches, renders, 3D models, prototypes) used to communicate with other team members, leaders, vendors or consumers
- Translate concepts into designs for technical teams and engineers to develop
- Help identify new techniques and technology to advance the design capability
- Learn about multiple systems across development, sourcing, buying and inspection
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.Minimum Job Requirements
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Four-year degree in Design, Industrial Design, Fine Art, or similar area of study, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of design experience
- Strong hand sketching and rendering skills of products and or environments. Applicants who showcase their sketching ability in portfolios will be prioritized.
- Computer design system skills including InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, SharePoint, Word, Excel) & Digital White-boarding Tools (Miro)
- Experience in CAD illustration or 2D/3D software such as Solidworks
- Experience in physical prototyping and building mock-ups
- Basic knowledge in shop tools and machinery
- Knowledge of raw materials & product production
- Experience assimilating design/product feedback and iterating
- Ability to research, stay aware and apply design industry/market/trend information
- Ability to build strong partnerships in order to successfully work in a team environment
- High degree of initiative and attention to detail; works with a sense of urgency
- Strong critical thinking & problem solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.