Status: Full-time regular position, non-exempt
Pay Range: $31.51 to $40.95 per hour (depending upon qualifications)
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), but will vary based on business needs, events and meetings. Also works additional evenings and weekends during elections.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to City Manager
The Administration Department includes the divisions of Communications, Facilities, Human Resources, Information Technology, City Clerk and Finance, which includes liquor operations. Each division in the Administration Division provides a support role for city government.
The Administration Support Specialist provides administrative support to the City Manager and City Council to ensure timely, accurate, and efficient services to customers which reflects the City’s high professional standards. This position also serves as the backup to the City Clerk, performing designated clerk duties in their absence including signing official documents, posting meeting notices, and receiving legal documents. This position is responsible for the following areas of impact:
- Develops and maintains positive relationships and communications with Council members, residents, co-workers and the public. Provides excellent customer service by responding to individuals, businesses and government organizations in a polite, timely and professional manner. Triages individuals to the right resource at the right time.
- Ensures critical and accurate information is dispersed in a timely manner to several parties following appropriate guidelines; includes preparing Council meeting agendas and supporting documents for the Council meeting packet, ordinances, resolutions, and weekly FYI packets. Gathers, combines and bookmarks multiple individual documents in various formats for each Council packet. Manages review, production, and approval process for city council meeting minutes.
- Stays abreast of general City-wide information to maintain a solid understanding of City happenings, activities, policies, etc. to respond appropriately and be a resource to others; includes attending council meetings and workshops on a regular basis, and commission and taskforce meetings as necessary. Prepares appropriate documentation for all parties involved for reference and official record including taking notes/minutes for council workshops and other meetings as requested. Assists with commission official records.
- Creates an exceptional brand experience to the public and co-workers; provides administrative and project planning support for various internal and external events and projects including records management and data practices initiatives; coordinates events and meetings for City Manager, Council, and City Staff, including space and equipment needs. Manages the annual City Commission and Students on Commission recruitment and training process.
- Ensures legal processes are upheld by receiving and fulfilling requests for information pertaining to City Manager and Council; provides general administrative support, including data gathering and report preparation; determines which documents must be retained under state statutes.
- Supports a positive and supportive work atmosphere by managing the Sunshine Fund; includes sending flowers and other goodwill gestures to employees and their families in cases of illness, births, loss of a loved one, etc.
- Assists City Clerk with administrating elections including providing information and assistance upon inquiry to the public, absentee voting, equipment testing and maintenance, polling place coordination, election judge recruitment, training and database management, election day support, and post-election activities. In the absence of the City Clerk, administers elections if necessary.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Associate degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Work Experience: Minimum of four years project or event planning experience required; experience in providing support to an Executive Level position(s) preferred; experience in an administrative support role preferred; experience in serving as the first point of contact for a department or organization preferred.
Technical Skills: Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher) and Adobe Acrobat. Advanced word processing skills required. Ability to become a certified Hennepin County Elections Administrator.
Physical Effort: Physical effort is light for the majority of work with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently. Report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard.
Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. Occasionally drives to pick up food or office supplies, or to attend off-site meetings. Position may involve calming emotionally charged individuals.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately to advocate a point of view; maintains professionalism while under pressure; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; maintains balance even when unexpected circumstances arise; able to identify and manage crisis situations; faces adversity head on; energized by tough challenges.
Business Acumen: Knowledgeable about how organizations work; understands how to build support though multiple channels within an organization; effectively uses both formal and informal networks to effect change.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Background Check
- Education and work history verification
- Driver's Check (must have valid driver's license and excellent driving record)
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Application Process
Post Date: 5/8/2023
Application Deadline: 5/26/2023 at 8:30 a.m.
Application Review: 5/30/2023 - 6/2/2023
First Round Interviews (Virtual): Week of 6/5/2023
Second Round Interviews (In-Person): Week of 6/12/2023
Start date: Beginning of July 2023