Join a team with a national reputation for excellence! Our mission is to serve Minnesota Veterans and their families. We do this by delivering quality health care, helping to secure benefits, and providing programs and services in higher education, claims, burials, outreach and Veterans’ preference. At the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA), we not only consider it our duty to provide the highest level of care to those who answered our nation's call, we believe it is an honor.
MDVA recognizes that a culturally competent workforce is critical to meet the needs of all Minnesotans. MDVA is committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility at our workplace to support employees as they grow in their careers with the State of Minnesota.
Job Class: Plumber
Agency: Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 05/11/2023
- Closing Date: 06/01/2023
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Minnesota Veterans Affairs Dept / Vets Home - Mpls - AFSCME
- Division/Unit: Minneapolis Veterans Home / Mpls Physical Plant Staff
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift / 7:00am - 3:30pm
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: No
- Salary Range: $28.31 - $32.77 / hourly; $59,111 - $68,423 / annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 202 - Craft, Maintenance, Labor/AFSCME
- Work Area: Minneapolis Veterans Home
- FLSA Status: Nonexempt
- Telework Eligible: No
- Designated in Connect 700 Program for Applicants with Disabilities: Yes
Make a difference in the lives of Minnesotans.
The work you’ll do is more than just a job. Join the talented, engaged and inclusive workforce dedicated to creating a better Minnesota.
Job Summary It pays to consider a rewarding career with the Minnesota Veterans Home in Minneapolis! You may be eligible for a new hire bonus of $5,000! Earn a competitive wage, have affordable and comprehensive insurance benefits, a retirement plan, paid time off, free parking and more!
The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs, Minnesota Veterans Home - Minneapolis has an opening for a full-time Plumber. This position will perform maintenance, repairs, and updates to all plumbing related systems and equipment in accordance with the Minnesota State plumbing codes and needs of the Minneapolis Veterans Home.
Work includes but is not limited to:
- Maintain the hot and cold water and sewer systems.
- Estimate material, labor, time, and costs to complete repairs and order materials.
- Perform mandatory Reduced Pressure Zone (RPZ) testing throughout the facility.
- Perform emergency repairs as needed.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
- Facility or plant maintenance experience as a journey-level plumber.
- Possession of a current Water Operator's license.
- At least two years of experience performing preventive maintenance work.
- Experience in soldering, pro-press and techniques attaching old plumbing to modern plumbing.
- Experience in welding, soldering, and machining.
- Experience with Archibus or other electronic work order system.
- Experience with RPZ assemblies, testing, obtaining permits and rebuilding as necessary.
This position requires the successful completion of the following:
Employment Reference checks will be conducted on finalists. This may include a review of documentation related to job performance and contact with the applicant's former employer(s).
A Tuberculosis (Mantoux) screening (or chest x-ray) is required prior to employment.
A Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) background check will be conducted on finalists for this position. Finalists must pass the DHS background check.
The individual selected for this position is required to attest to and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination by their first day of employment, per federal requirements. This individual selected for the position may request an accommodation if they are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccination due to (a) a recognized medical condition for which a COVID-19 vaccine is contraindicated; or (b) an objection based upon a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. For additional information about this COVID-19 vaccination requirement, contact Kathleen Maertz in MOVA Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finalist will be required to pass a driver's license check.
Application Details How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you were referred to apply by a current Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs’ employee or State of Minnesota employee, please provide the employee’s name in the Referral Source section of your application. The employee who referred you may be eligible for a $1,000 bonus!
If you have questions about the position, contact Kathleen Maertz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-210-3371.
To receive consideration as a Connect 700 Program applicant, apply online, email the Job ID#, the Working Title and your valid Proof of Eligibility Certificate by the closing date to Kathleen Maertz at email@example.com.
Why Work for Us Diverse Workforce
We are committed to continually developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our state and the populations we serve. The varied experiences and perspectives of employees strengthen the work we do together and our ability to best serve the people of Minnesota.
A recent engagement survey of State of Minnesota employees found:
- 95% of employees understand how their work helps achieve their agency’s mission
- 91% of employees feel trusted to do their jobs
- 88% of employees feel equipped to look at situations from other cultural perspectives when doing their job
- 87% of employees report flexibility in their work schedule
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Minnesota state agencies are equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employers. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate what assistance is needed.