Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We're the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target's passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world's best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies-and the brightest people-to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve.
Our high-performing team balances independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
TEAM AND CULTURE
Target values engineers that care about:
- Robust, distributed microservices and event-based architectures with mature CI/CD pipelines
- Code as craft with a desire to solve complex engineering problems
- Automating everything
- Operational excellence with an approach to engineering that makes our guests and team members their top priority
- Triaging large scale issues with a bias to prevent them from happening in the first place
- Canary and A/B testing to push code during business hours
- Innovation and experimentation with a focus on continuous learning
- High observability with robust logs and metrics
- High focus on security and protecting our guest's information
- Scalable, highly available services
- Fail fast, learn faster
- A diverse, inclusive, and collaborative culture
- 50 days of Learning
Bank Authorization Services product represents the modernization of systems that enables Target to support the acceptance of Target Debit Cards and checks by providing authorization decisioning based off associated bank and ID data. The product also enables the business to manage its risk and profitability modeling within the application by modifying risk management criteria.
Prepaid services enables Target to support the activation of 3rd Party Prepaid Closed Loop Gift Cards & Handsets and Starbucks Gift Cards. Prepaid services also support maintenance activities done by TM or guests on the Starbucks card. Additionally, the service is the liaison between gaming vendors and guests to provide digital activation codes needed to utilize their games.
Our engineering teams are empowered to select the appropriate technology for the problem they are trying to solve. Common technologies include:
- Code Pipelines
- Languages and Frameworks like Spring Boot, Java, Kotlin, and Micronaut
- Front end technologies like React
- Databases like Postgres and/or Oracle
- Metrics visualizations like Grafana
- Log aggregation with Logstash and Kibana
- OS virtualization with Docker
- Data streaming technologies like Kafka
- Elastic compute platforms like Kubernetes
- Enhancing capabilities using Machine Learning
Core responsibilities are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience
- 5-7 years of software development experience
- Demonstrates strong domain-specific knowledge regarding Target's technology capabilities, and key competitors' products and differentiating features
- Working knowledge on package-specific configuration and deployment along with ability to build custom solutions
- Designs new testing methods and resolves routine and non-routine technical issues with minimal assistance
- Demonstrates strong proficiency in core development platforms within own domain
- Builds strong commitment within the team to support the appropriate team priorities
- Clearly communicates Agile concepts to partners within product team
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of the impact of own work on the team and/or guests
- Writes and organizes code using multiple computer languages, including distributed programming and understand different frameworks and paradig
- Delivers high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables with broad impact (high throughput and low latency)
- Influences and applies data standards, policies, and procedures
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.