Description: Director Counsel, Employee Relations Classification: Exempt Date: May 2023About Us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target's distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target's ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating, communicating about and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We help protect Target by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Your passion for learning the business and building great relationships with team, leaders and key business partners will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape.
A role with Employee Labor Relations as Director Counsel means the opportunity to provide legal counsel on a wide range of internal employee relations matters. Your internal clients will be Human Resources, and you'll be responsible for a range of responsibilities that include providing fast-paced employment law based advice and counsel, consulting on investigations, and project/policy work at times. In particular:
- Provide expert legal counsel in employee relations matters for assigned areas of responsibility. This specific position focuses on supporting our global supply chain and logistics with responsibilities across multiple states and some HQ-based responsibilities as well.
- Work with the Employee Labor Relations teams to identify legal and HR-related issues and trends.
- Ensure strategies and actions in ELR matters support the company's brand, mission and philosophy.
- Work on occasion with outside counsel. Follow standards for legal work in assigned areas and ensure that work is performed in a cost-effective manner.
- Remain current on legal and business developments and share appropriately with team and business partners.
- Assist in strategically representing Target's interests to government agencies and other outside entities.
- Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- J.D. or equivalent from accredited law school and admitted to a state bar
- 5+ years at a law firm or in-house capacity serving clients in Employee Relations matters including substantial experience providing employment law consultation and legal advice in a corporate or law firm setting
- Ability to facilitate meetings, resolve conflict, build consensus, establish rapport and collaborate effectively, internally and externally, across all levels of an organization
- Analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to leverage data to influence decisions and distill complex or ambiguous issues into consice and actionable advice
- Ability to develop effective and collaborative relationships with key business leaders in order to independently drive accountability, instill confidence, and influence outcomes across functions
- Highly organized, with the ability to adapt, prioritize and successfully manage multiple tasks or projects in response to changing or competing priorities
- Ability to apply discretion and sensitivity while working with confidential information
- Ability to develop effective written and verbal communications and presentations for all levels of leadership; comfort presenting information to large groups across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated strategic skills with the ability to assess and challenge the current state, develop short and long term strategies, apply creative problem solving, and project manage initiatives from inception through implementation
- Comfortable making specific, fact-based recommendations in ambiguous situations
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.