Description: The pay range is $87,900.00 - $158,200.00
Pay is based on several factors which vary based on position. These include labor markets and in some instances may include education, work experience and certifications. In addition to your pay, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Target offers eligible team members and their dependents comprehensive health benefits and programs, which may include medical, vision, dental, life insurance and more, to help you and your family take care of your whole selves. Other benefits for eligible team members include 401(k), employee discount, short term disability, long term disability, paid sick leave, paid national holidays, and paid vacation. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond at https://corporate.target.com/careers/benefits.Job Title: Lead FSQR Scientist - Pet Food Compliance, Labeling & RegulatoryClassification: ExemptDate: July 2023Hybrid Position, based in MinneapolisAbout us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 400,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target's distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of regulatory compliance and legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics, or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We help protect Target by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers, and corporate locations. Here, you will enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with senior leaders and key business partners you support will be key to tackling ever-changing legal challenges in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. You will be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
A role inFood Safety, Quality, & Regulatory (FSQR) means supporting processes that help Target succeed by consistently delivering compliant foods. As a Lead FSQR Scientist - Pet Food Compliance & Labeling, you will build and maintain industry leading food labeling and regulatory programs to manage risk for Target. You will support Target's strategy in collaboration with Sourcing, Product Development, and other technical partners. You will help grow the business and build winning solutions for Target guests.
- Subject matter expert on regulations, claims, and nutrition for pet food with potential to work in other food categories
- Ensure vendor FSQR compliance with Target requirements and regulations, balancing internal & external risks, while supporting business priorities and guest needs. Partner with vendors to develop compliant labeling, through specification, label, and website content reviews
- Influence Owned Brand Food initiatives, collaborating across teams to provide technical direction and interpret regulations related to pet food and/or food product development, nutrition, packaging, and communications
- Anticipate and identify regulatory and claims risks in the product development strategy. Plan, develop, and execute plans to manage risk while meeting business objectives
- Evaluate pending labeling regulations and external developments, such as litigation, to assess claims risks and recommend options to meet business goals
- Lead cross-functional project teams to design, develop, and implement new policies, processes, and compliance programs in support of business directives
- Drive continuous improvement of FSQR programs, thinking strategically about what may be eliminated, reduced, or improved and working with stakeholders to implement changes
- Pursue continuing education and represent Target externally with trade and professional organizations
- Define complex issues, despite incomplete or ambiguous information. Identify causes and issues underlying problems and evaluate risks and benefits of alternatives before providing guidance, feedback, and coaching to cross-functional partners
- Model and promote a culture which champions Target's values and FSQR compliance
- Demonstrate the ability to manage, initiate and influence adoption and outcomes when there might be rejection, setbacks, resistance, or failures; show versatility in response to a wide range of situations
- Provide food recall coverage and after hour food recall support, as needed
- Other responsibilities that support the FSQR team, as assigned
- Minimum 5-10 years of technical experience in pet food or consumer-packaged foods; 5+ years pet food labeling experience preferred; pet food manufacturer experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Nutrition, or a related discipline, or equivalent experience
- Experience with ingredient and product specifications, labeling, and artwork/packaging review and approval for pet food and/or consumer-packaged foods
- Regulatory expertise, including experience interpreting and applying labeling regulations to products
- Effective project management, strategic planning, and organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and self-motivation
- Skill in collaboration and influencing both internal and external partners at varying levels
- Demonstrated ability to lead or influence high-performing teams and adapt leadership style to fit situational needs
- 2+ years of product development and commercialization experience desired
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and deliver results with minimal direction, demonstrates a growth mindset and actively seeks feedback
- Able to manage multiple tasks or projects and deliver consistently against timelines
- Strong problem-solving and research skills
- Values and seeks out diverse perspectives and work styles
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
This position will operate as a Hybrid/Flex for Your Day work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid/Flex for Your Day work arrangement means the team member's core role will need to be performed both onsite at the Target HQ MN location the role is assigned to and virtually, depending upon what your role, team and tasks require for that day. Work duties cannot be performed outside of the country of the primary work location, unless otherwise prescribed by Target. Click here if you are curious to learn more about Minnesota.Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Supply Chain Facility or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.