Property and Casualty Claims Manager
Minnesota Counties Intergovernmental Trust (MCIT)
Full time, exempt
Location: St. Paul, Minn., office with the potential for hybrid work
Occasional travel throughout Minnesota
MCIT offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) pension and optional Section 457(b) deferred compensation program Group health and dental insurance Paid vacation and sick leave 13 paid holidays Public Service Loan Forgiveness program eligibility: MCIT employees may qualify for this federal program to forgive student loan debt Employer-paid short- and long-term disability insurance Employer-paid life insurance Optional employee-paid life and vision insurance Free off-street parking provided
The property and casualty claims manager is key to helping MCIT carry out its mission of providing cost-effective property and casualty coverage and claims handling to its members by leading the property/casualty claims team in the administration of property and casualty claims within MCIT prescribed standards, industry best practices and specific member services requirements.
MCIT is a joint powers government entity made up of Minnesota counties and associated public entities that pool resources to provide property, liability, auto, cyber and workers’ compensation coverage to members. MCIT offers a collaborative work environment and excellent benefits, including a pension plan.
Under the direction and supervision of the director of claims, the property and casualty claims manager:
- Assigns claims to staff based on complexity, claim type, caseloads and claims handling protocols Monitors claims for appropriate coverage, liability and evaluation of exposures Oversees workloads and trends to ensure appropriate staffing levels and division of assignments Participates in developing policies relative to property, liability, auto, cyber and bond claims administration (i.e., claims handling protocols, litigation strategies, reserving, reinsurance reporting, recoveries) Resolves coverage application questions by reviewing files and consulting with others as needed Notifies and communicates with property, liability and cyber reinsurers as required by reinsurance contracts and claims handling policies and procedures Oversees reinsurance recovery, restitution, subrogation and salvage; and monitors collection activities and results Approves monthly deductible recovery for invoicing by Finance Department Ensures compliance with MCIT claims handling/claims management philosophy, policies, protocol and standards within level of authority Conduct annual performance evaluations of property/casualty claim representatives
- A two-year degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, insurance or applicable field Four years of property/casualty claims handling, risk management or loss control experience Possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle driver’s license
- A four-year degree from a college or university in business administration, insurance or applicable field Multiline claims handling experience Three years of supervisory/management experience in the area of claims administration or risk management or loss control Experience working in a paperless claims environment
- Familiarity with local government, service organizations, associations Familiarity with principles of Minnesota municipal law Familiarity working with and resolving cyber claims
Download the property/casualty position description for a full list of duties, responsibilities and requirements.
- Applicants must apply through the MCIT website at MCIT.org/about/employment-opportunities/. All applicants must: Complete an online application Provide a cover letter and résumé. The cover letter must identify how the applicant’s experience and abilities align with the position description.
Résumés without application and cover letter will not be accepted.
Application deadline: Open until filled. First review: Sept. 11, 2023
Direct questions to Linda Podritz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.209.6400.
MCIT is an equal opportunity employer.