Health Care that Starts with You!
Join a truly mission-driven organization! Independent, nonprofit UCare is recognized as one of the Minnesota's leading health plans. We provide more than 600,000 members across Minnesota and western Wisconsin with the health coverage plans and services they need to maintain and improve their health. The innovative coverage we create makes a difference for Medicare-eligible individuals, individuals and families enrolled in Minnesota Health Care Programs, such as MinnesotaCare and Medical Assistance, and disabled adults with special health care needs.
UCare is growing in size, membership, products, geographic coverage, and employees. We're an organization that's going places. Be part of a team that cares about you, be part of UCare.
Enter a highly collaborative environment where people are truly engaged, and feedback is valued. You'll enjoy a competitive salary and benefits, as well as a host of other perks, including a nationally recognized wellness program, and a bright, open, award-winning office space in Northeast Minneapolis just minutes from major freeways and retail centers.
At UCare, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of UCare, our members, and the communities we serve.
UCare offers Medicare, Medicaid, Individual and Family health plans - powered by the hardest working people in the industry. Our people powered teams de-complicate, advocate and always go the extra mile to help our members. We serve with integrity, compassion and commitment to do right by members, providers and government partners. Above all, we come to work excited to provide members a path for the best health of their lives.
WORKING AT UCARE
Working at UCare is more than a career; it's a mission. A mission that defines us as professionals, unites us as an organization and shapes how we interact with our members and each other. Employees join UCare and stay because of the opportunity to have a purpose-driven job.
Our strong culture has established UCare as a Star Tribune Top 200 Workplace for 14 consecutive years since the awards program began. It's a culture that embraces innovative ideas, strategic partnerships, and exemplary customer and provider experiences. Working at UCare is being a part of a people powered team dedicated to making a real difference in the lives of our members and communities.
VICE PRESIDENT AND DEPUTY GENERAL COUNSEL
Work Location: Office for Your Day
As the Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, you will be responsible to oversee the day-to-day operations of the legal department. You will manage attorneys and other legal department staff, while serving as a trusted legal advisor and business partner to clients across the organization. In this role you will work closely with the Chief Legal Officer (CLO) and Senior Leadership on strategic priorities and initiatives.
• Provide expert counsel across the enterprise on multiple subject matters of expertise, including, but not limited to: compliance, corporate and information governance, healthcare, Medicare, Medicaid, Affordable Care Act, privacy and security, ethics, contracting, strategic transactions, tax and finance, intellectual property, labor and employment, and litigation, as well as legislative and regulatory developments that could impact the organization and the members it serves.
• Work closely with senior management to evaluate legal impact of major decisions, provide high quality legal services and resolves complex legal issues relative to the business.
• Manage attorneys, paralegal(s) and legal administrative staff, as applicable, and directly supervises Associate General Counsel, Associate General Counsel, Privacy Officer, and Assistant General Counsel. Management duties include hiring, training, coaching, counseling and evaluating performance of direct reports. Periodically meets with staff responsible for major functions to communicate and exchange information on initiatives and legal responses.
• Develops strategy in coordination with the CLO to accomplish departmental and organizational objectives and ensure that UCare maintains a solid legal foundation upon which to conduct business.
• Oversees UCare's information privacy program.
• Performs high level research and analysis of a broad range of legal and policy issues.
• Manage operations and budgets for legal department in collaboration with the CLO.
• Serves as the primary liaison with outside counsel, makes decisions regarding retention of outside counsel and manages the budget for external legal services.
• Oversees contract management process and assists business partners and attorneys in leading contract negotiations, as well as drafting, and providing legal guidance for key contracts, as appropriate.
• Demonstrates strong and consistent commitment to UCare's mission, vision and values.
• Serves as a resource for internal and external stakeholders in navigating and understanding legal aspects of various programs and strategies.
• Actively participates in internal workgroups and industry associations to enhance UCare's presence and voice in the community.
• Assists CLO with corporate governance and other administrative or legal matters as assigned.
• Other projects and duties as assigned.
Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school. Licensed and in good standing to practice law in the State of Minnesota.
Ten years of progressively more responsible experience in relevant areas of law. Managerial experience in a regulatory or health care environment. Demonstrated experience in providing strategic legal leadership and contributions to business initiatives.
The candidate will have experience representing provider and/or health plan clients and/or health or insurance related regulatory entities.
THE UCARE DIFFERENCE
The UCare difference is our people power - employees actively working on the behalf of our members to get them access to the health care they need. We value and respect each individual's ideas and contributions, and provide the freedom to grow both personally and professionally. We are centrally located, and offer onsite education, equipment and wellness resources, and a myriad of volunteer activities. If you're looking for an inclusive environment that celebrates your people power, helps you build on your strengths and gives you the opportunity to truly make a difference, we invite you to apply.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, we welcome and employ a diverse employee group committed to meeting the needs of UCare, our members, and the communities we serve.
JOB POST DATE: 08/29/2023