Description: The pay range is $87,900.00 - $158,200.00
Pay is based on several factors which vary based on position. These include labor markets and in some instances may include education, work experience and certifications. In addition to your pay, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Target offers eligible team members and their dependents comprehensive health benefits and programs, which may include medical, vision, dental, life insurance and more, to help you and your family take care of your whole selves. Other benefits for eligible team members include 401(k), employee discount, short term disability, long term disability, paid sick leave, paid national holidays, and paid vacation. Find competitive benefits from financial and education to well-being and beyond at https://corporate.target.com/careers/benefits.LEAD PARALEGAL - LITIGATIONClassification: Exempt Date: September 2023About us:
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target's distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in litigation, government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target's ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target's signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you'll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape.
Within Target Legal Affairs, the Litigation team handles lawsuits and related matters for Target and provides strategic litigation advice and counsel across all areas of Target's business. In the role of Lead Paralegal - Litigation, you will have the opportunity to work on matters across a wide variety of subject areas including commercial, general liability, real estate, financial services, class actions and intellectual property. You will act independently on some matters to engage outside counsel and communicate with internal clients on litigation strategy. You will work collaboratively with a variety of business and legal partners to support and deliver optimal outcomes. Specific tasks will include supporting litigation matters through all stages including, but not limited to, new matter intake, fact investigation, complex discovery, motion practice, summary judgment, and trial preparation when necessary.
The principle duties and responsibilities of a Lead Paralegal - Litigation include the following:
- Independently conduct preliminary investigation of allegations within a complaint or subpoena.
- Track response deadlines and implement legal holds as necessary.
- Identify corporate witnesses and relevant information pertaining to specific lawsuits, subpoenas or government investigations. Determine and implement appropriate measures to secure information in order for the corporation to meet discovery obligations.
- Facilitate discovery in litigation, including partnering with internal resources to collect pertinent information related to defense, reviewing information collected in discovery, and assisting outside counsel in determining appropriate responses.
- Identify, retain and manage outside counsel on certain matters.
- Assist in deposition preparation and preparation for other testimony as needed.
- Confer with internal business clients to advise them about the nature of any particular dispute and the likely course of litigation.
- Interact with opposing counsel and government officials in connection with subpoenas.
- Consistently implement best practices and take initiative in recommending additional best practices or process improvements based on experience.
- Develop relationships with principal business partners to maintain a superior understanding of business objectives. May be the first point of contact for some business partners on discrete legal issues.
- Independently perform special projects related to litigation management and serve as a team representative on department-wide or company-wide initiatives.
- Independently prioritize workload. Work autonomously to represent the Litigation Team with respect to core litigation tasks and a variety of company initiatives.
- Function as a professional team player within a highly collaborative, highly engaged environment.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned/needed from time to time.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.About you:
- Four-year degree or equivalent, job-related experience.
- Paralegal certificate.
- Strong written, communication, and analytical skills.
- Strong ability to establish effective, trusted team and client relationships.
- Strong ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize a large volume of work.
- Strong ability to adapt and adjust in a dynamic retail environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel/Word/PowerPoint.
- Prior litigation and/or litigation management experience (in a law firm or corporate setting) strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with complex litigation and high stakes discovery.
- Familiarity with e-discovery.
This position will operate as a Hybrid/Flex for Your Day work arrangement based on Target's needs. A Hybrid/Flex for Your Day work arrangement means the team member's core role will need to be performed both onsite at the Target HQ MN location the role is assigned to and virtually, depending upon what your role, team and tasks require for that day. Work duties cannot be performed outside of the country of the primary work location, unless otherwise prescribed by Target. Click here if you are curious to learn more about Minnesota.Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Supply Chain Facility or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.