LEGAL ASSISTANT/SOMALI INTERPRETER – PART-TIME (50% FTE)
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid’s Willmar office (MMLA) is seeking a half-time Legal Assistant/Interpreter with fluency in English and Somali languages. The Legal Assistant will complete intake, assist with immigration files, and provide interpretation assistance to clients and other staff at our organization. Currently, the position will be a 50% FTE with the potential to become full-time pending office needs.
As an equal opportunity employer, MMLA is committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply. We welcome information about how your experience can contribute to serving our diverse client communities. Applicants are encouraged to share in their cover letter how they can further our goal of equal justice for all. We are committed to a discrimination- and harassment-free workplace.
- Apply the principles of MMLA’s Racial Justice Values Statement in all interactions.
- Screen clients for eligibility for legal assistance.
- Provide Somali interpreting services for co-workers and clients.
- Assist with filing and completing immigration forms for clients.
- Answer incoming phone calls as needed.
- Other duties as needed.
- Must be able to travel to outreach sites within the 10-county service area of Willmar.
- Advanced proficiency and knowledge in Somali language and culture required.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to the needs and rights of people with low incomes and victims of domestic violence.
- Ability to work positively within a law office, supporting co-workers while focusing on providing high-quality service to clients.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office required.
- Diverse economic, social, or cultural experiences preferred.
SALARY: $23.63 to 24.11 per hour, depending on experience, plus benefits. Salary increase upon completion of language fluency testing. Benefits are pro-rated based on hours worked and include family medical and dental insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match, FSA, employee assistance programs, and generous paid time off.
APPLICATION: Submit a resume and cover letter expressing interest in the position online at http://www.mylegalaid.org/employment until position is filled.
If you require a reasonable accommodation for completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in our employee selection process, please contact Ann Cofell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct all other inquiries to email@example.com.
Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.