Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 9/27/2023
Closing Date: 10/25/2023 (Priority consideration given to applications submit before 10/6)
LA8 Salary Range: $70,992 - $115,007 / annually
Telework Eligible: Hybrid
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who choose public service as a calling, and we are actively and intentionally committed to supporting an internal culture that affirms that calling. The Office is one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and as of 2023, has been recognized as a Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota for three years in a row and Top Workplace USA for two years in a row.
The Office is currently seeking a Cloud Developer in the IT Division of the Office. The Cloud Developer supports the mission of the Office by translating business and technical requirements into well-engineered, tested, and deployed business applications. Responsibilities include the analysis, design, development, testing, installation, and maintenance of information systems. Incumbents interface with customers and other developers to determine the most efficient and cost-effective approach to meet business requirements. Solutions utilize a variety of hardware and software technologies and may include new code, construction, modifications to existing modules, and/or package implementation. Incumbents of this job series develop designs and evaluate and select tools necessary to build and support their systems. Incumbents must be detail oriented and have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Incumbents work with a team of IT professionals to support the legal operations of the Office and develop and maintain various applications and systems. This position reports to the IT Manager.
At the Senior Cloud Developer level, incumbents are technical IT leaders who translating business requirements into business application systems, mentor junior staff and contribute to their technical development; may serve as project lead. Incumbents possess expert understanding in all application development processes, serving as a resource to others; understands architectural issues and factors them into decisions and recommendations. Incumbents possess in-depth knowledge of the inter-relationships and interfaces between systems and technologies; brings technical knowledge from external sources and incorporates those ideas into IT.
A successful candidate in this position will be able to:
- Perform the full range of applications design, analysis, and programming functions.
- Support all aspects of applications programming.
- Design projects that require the integration of multiple technologies, and the interrelationships of multiple systems.
- Develop code to add functionality to new or existing systems.
- Manage a program of system maintenance activities, ensuring change requests and small enhancements are completed per plans.
- Create information architecture reports, including site maps, flow charts, and functional and presentation specifications.
- Identify, design, direct, and perform analyses to resolve complex first-time project issues including the analysis of technical and economic feasibility of proposed system solutions.
- Conduct analysis of business needs and develops specifications.
- Assess systems and models, which involves large, interdependent systems, new technologies, and broad implications for the IT architecture.
- Assist in design sessions by presenting logical statements of business problems and designs and offering and incorporating ideas, factoring in a strong understanding of technical architecture.
- Work effectively with business partners to understand and explain business and technical issues.
- Identify and resolve complex operating systems and application problems independently.
- Provide project leadership and technical guidance in programming and analysis, strategic technology planning, and in the design, evaluation, implementation, and support of system software and supporting sub-systems.
- Raise the bar of technical knowledge that exists within IT by ensuring that leading expertise is maintained and enhanced in the organization.
- Provide recommendations for investment in new products and technology solutions, supported by appropriate ROI, total cost of ownership, and/or cost benefit analyses.
- Degree in information technology, information systems, or closely related field (experience may substitute for degree)
- Six or more years of experience in application development or cloud development
- IT professionals are expected to have great organizational skills and attention to detail, including the ability to work independently, collaborate and work effectively as part of a team, be able to prioritize projects and multi-task, and have strong interpersonal skills with both stakeholders and team members.
- Good knowledge of: Software architecture, development, and testing practices;
- Programming languages, software development tool suites and managing source code.
- Experience: Creating, interpreting, and documenting user requirements; Coding new systems and making code changes to existing production systems; Testing and deploying production systems; Developing and maintaining a website. Experience with Microsoft Cloud development, including SharePoint and PowerApps.
- Considerable knowledge of: data architecture, software architecture, common software design patterns, development and testing practices; Programming languages and software development tool suites.
- Some knowledge of: supervisory practices.
- Experience: Creating, interpreting and documenting user requirements; Coding, testing, and deploying production systems; Analyzing development solutions to show costs and benefits; Establishing and defining architecture and development standards; Providing technical leadership on teams developing large software projects; Managing complex, enterprise/interdependent systems; Supporting organizational transitions to new architectures, new development processes, performing cost/benefit analysis, analyzing buy vs build alternatives and strategic planning; leading and mentoring junior staff.
- Experience with the following systems/technologies: Microsoft PowerApps; Microsoft Power Automate; Content management systems; Web development; Microsoft SharePoint; Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Management Services, SQL Server Reporting Services; Microsoft Visual Studio; Java; Microsoft Access.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, October 25, 2023.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 69904
- Direct Link
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Sarah Spence-Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1050.
Why Work For Us
Diverse Workforce Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, fostering understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive service to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at (651) 259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.