Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 9/27/2023
Closing Date: 10/25/2023 (Priority consideration given to applications submit before 10/10)
LA8 Salary Range: $70,992 - $115,007 / annually
Telework Eligible: Hybrid
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who choose public service as a calling, and we are actively and intentionally committed to supporting an internal culture that affirms that calling. The Office is one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and as of 2023, has been recognized as a Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota for three years in a row and Top Workplace USA for two years in a row.
The Office is currently seeking a Cloud Engineer in the IT Division of the Office. The Cloud Engineer supports the mission of the Office by designing, developing, and applying technical expertise that support the Office’s infrastructure and technology offerings in the cloud. Incumbents are responsible for the design, development, testing, and implementation of cloud server, network, and storage technologies, and work typically includes contingency planning, configuration management, direct maintenance, and problem resolution. Incumbents provide leadership in the design, enhancement, implementation, and consultation of complex cloud network, server, and storage infrastructure. Incumbents must be detail oriented and have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Incumbents work with a team of IT professionals to support the legal operations of the Office and ensure the availability and performance of the cloud environment.
At the LA8 Cloud Engineer level, incumbents are senior technical experts with advanced expertise in systems and cloud engineering and can independently determine and resolve most problems. Incumbents understand and apply knowledge of architectural systems, provide technical coaching and mentoring to other staff members, assist them with the resolution of technical issues and are seen by business partners as a resource in IT for technical solutions. Incumbents in this classification are considered experts in their respective discipline (Cloud Engineering).
A successful candidate in this position will be able to:
- Evaluate and plan implementation and use of moderately complex cloud network systems.
- Evaluate, recommend, and plan the migration of on premises servers, services, and systems to the Microsoft Azure cloud environment.
- Assist in network planning, design/engineering, architecture development, and the creation of technical standards for the cloud environment.
- Recommend resource requirements to maintain or upgrade service levels.
- Respond to user problems, explains new technologies, and presents deliverables.
- Solve technical problems that may have never been encountered previously in the organization.
- Analyze cross-technology and cross-platform issues.
- Conduct complete diagnosis of most technology problems, factoring in an understanding of the technical architecture.
- Anticipate implementation obstacles and develops plans to address them.
- Translate business requirements into business systems or networks.
- Participate in strategic design and contributes to technical insights and ideas.
- Undertake technical leadership and coordination on projects and/or systems maintenance activities.
- Provide input into the technology plan for the organization and ensures that plans are integrated effectively with other aspects of the technical infrastructure.
- Provide recommendations for investment in new products and technology solutions, supported by appropriate ROI, total cost of ownership, and/or cost benefit analyses.
- Manage and maintain organizational cloud storage accounts and data.
- Assist in backup administration, design, storage, configuration, and disaster recovery.
- Degree in information technology, information systems, or closely related field (experience may substitute for degree)
- Four or more years of experience with systems, network, and server engineering in cloud environments.
- IT professionals are expected to have great organizational skills and attention to detail, including the ability to work independently, collaborate and work effectively as part of a team, be able to prioritize projects and multi-task, and have strong interpersonal skills with both stakeholders and team members.
- Good knowledge of current information technology trends and capabilities, including cloud environments and government regulations.
- Experience: installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting network, server or storage systems in hybrid and/or cloud environments; with Azure and/or AWS cloud environments; with cloud computing architectures (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS); resolving network and server problems; working with end users to develop and implement information technology solutions for user computing needs in a business environment; as a technical lead implementing or supporting network, server or storage systems; administering and supporting IT systems (e.g., server operating systems including Microsoft Windows Servers and/or Linux Servers, Active Directory, PowerShell, server applications, storage, etc.); managing and maintaining virtual server environments; implementing and maintaining server backup and disaster recovery solutions; designing, analyzing and maintaining high-availability (HA) server environments.
- Experience: with application integration with multi-tier application architecture; conducting cross-training in relevant support technologies.
- Experience with the following systems/technologies: Microsoft Azure Commercial/Government; Programming, SQL, Python, .NET; Veeam Cloud Backup/Capacity Tier/Immutability; VMware, Hyper-V, Linux; Networking/Virtual Firewalls; Cloud Security & Disaster Recovery
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, October 25, 2023, with priority consideration given to applications received on or before Tuesday, October 10, 2023.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 69886
- Direct Link
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Sarah Spence-Myers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1050.
Why Work For Us
Diverse Workforce Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, fostering understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive service to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at (651) 259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.