This position is responsible for overseeing finances for Birchwood Village, to include maintaining accurate books and providing detailed reporting with on-going updates to council. This includes preparing reports, payroll processing, bank deposits, invoicing, monthly bank reconciliation and filing reports. The work is performed under the general direction of the Mayor/City Council. This position will require 20 to 30 hours of work per month; additional time may be needed during peak seasons to be approved by the Mayor/City Council. The position does not include health benefits, but it does include PERA (Public Employees Retirement Association) benefits.
Essential Accountabilities and Job Responsibilities:
1. Coordinates the bi-weekly payroll process and related benefit submissions for the City.
2. Responsible for preparing quarterly and year-end payroll reports.
3. Oversee preparation and processing of payment requests received by the City on a weekly basis.
4. Responsible for the recording of tax settlements and other general ledger receipts.
5. Responsible for preparing, monitoring and inputting monthly revenues and expenditure statements.
6. Oversee unclaimed property process.
7. Oversee ongoing maintenance of CTAS. (record keeping system)
8. Administration of the City bank accounts, reviewing and reconciling.
9. Responsible for creating monthly financial reports for Council review.
10. Responsible for payroll tax administration and year end reporting.
11. Coordinate utility billing with our contracted billing partner.
12. Provide detailed reporting on expenditures for annual budget
13. Perform other duties and assume other responsibilities as apparent or as assigned.
14. Cover office hours at City Hall as needed.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
1. Knowledge of principles, practices, methods, and techniques of official record maintenance and retention.
2. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
3. Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with City Council, City staff, and the public; ability to deal with public relations problems courteously, effectively, and tactfully; keep the City Administrator informed of all matters she/he must know to perform their job responsibilities effectively.
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in decision making with minimal supervision.
5. Ability to produce quality, accurate work. Must be able to detect and correct errors.
6. Proficient in the operation of personal computers, including but not limited to: Microsoft Windows and software programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
· College coursework or experience in business administration, finance, or a closely related field.
· Previous work-related experience with a municipal government agency in managing and administering local government finances.
· Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Alternatives to the above qualifications as the City may find appropriate and acceptable
Desirable Job Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in finance, business administration, public administration, or closely related field.
· Graduate and/or post-graduate degrees in business administration, public administration, juris doctor or closely related field.
· Two or more years of work experience and/or training with a municipal government agency; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary range is $25-$30 per hour; depends on qualifications (DOQ). This is an on-site position with schedule flexibility.
Application Requirements: Applicants should submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com or by mail to City Hall at 207 Birchwood Ave, Birchwood MN, 55110.
Position open until October 30th, 2022.
This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the city and requirements of the job change.
The city of Birchwood Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. It will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.