Who May Apply: Open to all qualified applicants
Date Posted: 10/2/2023
Closing Date: 10/16/2023
S1 Salary Range: $76,000 - $120,000 annually
S2 Salary Range: $105,500 - $163,500 annually
S3 Salary Range: $122,000 - $174,500 annually
Telework Eligible: Hybrid
The Office of Attorney General Keith Ellison has a clear mission: we help Minnesotans afford their lives and live with dignity, safety, and respect. We are a dynamic group of dedicated professionals who choose public service as a calling, and we are actively and intentionally committed to supporting an internal culture that affirms that calling. The Office is one of Minnesota’s largest public law offices and as of 2023, has been recognized as a Star Tribune Top Workplace Minnesota for three years in a row and Top Workplace USA for two years in a row.
The Office is currently seeking an experienced attorney in the State Agencies Division of the Office.
The State Agencies Division provides litigation and legal counsel to a variety of State agencies including the Minnesota Departments of Health, Labor and Industry, Corrections, Human Rights, and Veterans Affairs. Attorneys in the division represent agencies in state and federal court litigation including defense of Section 1983 lawsuits, often involving constitutional issues. Attorneys also handle administrative proceedings for State agencies, including enforcement of labor, health, human rights, and safety laws.
A successful candidate will have the opportunity to support the mission of the office by:
- Representing state agencies in a wide variety of forums – from state and federal courts to administrative agency appeals
- Working on all aspects of civil litigation, including preparing pleadings and briefs, engaging in discovery and motion practice, appearing at court hearings and trials, and handling appeals
- Contributing positively to a team and interacting successfully with clients and members of the public
- Working in an inclusive, creative, and collaborative work environment
- Graduation from a law school accredited by the ABA and licensed to practice in the State of Minnesota
- Two years of civil litigation experience or equivalent
- Proven ability to litigate independently and make strategic legal decisions on a diverse caseload
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills (a cover letter with a writing sample is required with application submission)
- Proven ability to multitask by managing an active caseload and meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to travel to counties across the state
IMPORTANT! All applicants must prepare two documents to upload and submit with their application: 1) Resume; and 2) A cover letter with a writing sample (of up to five pages) in one document.
To be considered at the S2 level, candidates must have 6 years of related experience. To be considered at the S3 level, candidates must have 12 years of related experience.
- Relevant direct civil litigation experience
- Experience using electronic files and case management tools
- An interest in handling a variety of cases on behalf of state agencies before administrative tribunals, state and federal district courts, and appellate courts
How to Apply
Interested applicants must apply online through the State of Minnesota Careers website, which is the State’s official application and hiring site. The deadline for applications is Monday, October 16, 2023.
- Go to www.mn.gov/careers;
- Apply for posting number 69985
- Direct Link
Do not forget to upload: 1) Resume; and 2) A cover letter with a writing sample (of up to five pages).
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Jake Pleschourt at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 757-1057.
Why Work For Us
Diverse Workforce Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence, fostering understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- 12 paid holidays each year
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive service to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at (651) 259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.