The University of Wisconsin-Stout (UW-Stout) is seeking applications for an Assistant Provost of Graduate Studies in support of the university's polytechnic tenets of applied learning, career focus, and collaboration. UW-Stout invites applicants who are knowledgeable regarding graduate enrollment strategies in a rapidly changing higher education environment and dedicated to graduate student success via the creation of seamless experiences for students across multiple entry points to graduate education. The position joins a dynamic leadership team within academic affairs, working in support of the university's FOCUS2030 strategic plan while prioritizing an inclusive learning and work environment.
As a direct report to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the position will have responsibility in the areas of visibility and strategy organization for graduate education at UW-Stout. The position will proactively coordinate the work of university partners including the academic college deans, graduate faculty, and student success areas (i.e., Admissions, Stout Online, etc.), for the recruitment and retention of graduate students (including degree, non-degree, online, and working professionals). The position will have responsibility for all operations of Graduate Studies. Further, the position will work as a member of the Academic Affairs leadership to develop and implement goals and objectives for the success of graduate students aligned with the university's Strategic Enrollment Plan and Comprehensive Academic Plan.
This is a full-time, annual, limited appointment. Applicants may be considered for a concurrent tenure appointment per UWS Administrative Policy 1250 . The projected start date is January 4, 2024.RESPONSIBILITIES Leadership
- Serve as an advocate and university-wide point-person regarding graduate studies at UW-Stout. This includes working in close coordination and in collaboration with university stakeholders including the Provost's Office, Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives (ESI), the academic college deans, Office of International Education (OIE), the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Unit, Marketing and Communications (MarCom), Stout Online and the Graduate Education Committee to:
o Lead strategic planning and strategic enrollment initiatives for graduate studies
o Recommend strategic investments in graduate education to the provost and academic deans
o Identify and advocate for institutional process efficiencies tied to graduate student success, including open access to instructional and research resources
o Research and share best practices regarding domestic, international, and online graduate studies
o Integrate graduate studies comprehensively within the institution's strategic enrollment (recruitment and retention) plan
o Expand graduate programming to provide opportunities along lifelong and varied educational pathways including certificates, certifications, other micro-credentials, non-traditional offerings, and international articulation agreements (i.e., 3+1+1, BS + MS programs)
- Provide interpretation of and ensure relevancy of Graduate School policies and procedures for university personnel, students, and outside agencies. Including and not limited to:
o Chairing the Committee on Exceptions to Graduate School Policies
o Reviewing and approving applications for Degree Candidacy, Student Research Papers, and Appointment of Research Advisor/Chair/Committees
o Serving as the resource and approver for graduate student residency appeals
o Working with the academic colleges and Provost's Office on preparation for the orientation for new Graduate Program Directors
- Facilitate connections across campus with offices that support graduate studies, building a strong communication network, communication plan, and to cultivate a sense of community for graduate faculty and graduate students
- Ensure that graduate student support needs are addressed across all student support units, including educating units regarding the unique needs of graduate students across the university
- Work with shared governance to facilitate a Graduate Education Committee that will ensure collaboration across graduate programs, including visioning, innovation and cross-disciplinary curriculum
- Collaborate with the Vice Chancellor of Enrollment and Strategic Initiatives (ESI), the Office of International Education, Admissions, the academic college deans and Graduate Program Directors to establish graduate education recruitment strategies, including success metrics
- Collaborate with the Admissions Graduate Recruiter to implement recruitment strategies that align with the Comprehensive Recruitment Plan which are informed by graduate program action plans
- Collaborate with undergraduate and other credit and non-credit bearing program leaders and stakeholders to develop responsive lifelong learning pathways
- Oversee Graduate Studies staff
- Manage and oversee the Graduate Studies budget
- Coordinate degree audit reports and relevant graduate student data system information with the Associate Registrar
- Oversee the graduate assistantship and graduate student scholarship processes
- Oversee the enrollment management plan for graduate programming and assessment
- Oversee and provide leadership for graduate education quality and continuous improvement efforts in partnership with the colleges, schools, and programs. This includes a review of graduate studies assessment-related reports and annual program action plans
- Represent Graduate Studies on relevant committees and work with the academic colleges to ensure graduate representation on relevant councils and committees
- Master's degree from an accredited university
- Two years of leadership experience supervising and evaluating staff
- Experience with providing enrollment leadership in developing and growing diverse graduate programming (e.g., degrees, certificates, dual level programs, etc.)
- Experience with developing and implementing effective service models that retain adult learners
- Experience with graduate student instruction
- Demonstrated understanding of the challenges of a rapidly changing higher education environment at the local, state, and national levels
- Evidence of project management coordination, strategic planning and implementation
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills in working with a diverse community of faculty, staff, students, and university stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team environment
- Terminal academic degree from an accredited university
- Experience in establishing, working via and sustaining partnerships between external partners and educational institutions
- Experience with graduate program feasibility assessment
- Experience in grant writing and fundraising
- Demonstrated commitment to the core value of inclusion
System Job Title: Assistant Vice Provost (Inst) B)
Working Title: Assistant Provost for Graduate Studies
Job Code: AE196 APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONSScreening begins October 2, 2023. Applications may continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit the following materials:
1. Cover letter of Interest describing your qualifications for the position
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Name and contact information for a minimum of (3) professional references
4. One page statement describing your vision for graduate studies success at a polytechnic university, within the rapidly changing higher education environment.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Brenda Krueger
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Lorin Kuester
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org INSTITUTIONAL OVERVIEW
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The University of Wisconsin System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate's completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7) .
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Supervisory