Position Title: R&D Controls (BEV) Engineer
Reports to: R&D Manager
Interface With: All departments, All L&M Plants, Aftermarket Customers, OEM Customers, and Outside Vendors
Current Date: 2/7/2023
Revision Number: 2
Job Summary: Responsible for designing, developing, and integrating controls for heat transfer systems on battery and fuel cell powered heavy-duty equipment such as large mining haul trucks and excavators.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop controls systems for heat transfer systems.
- Responsible for software and hardware selections as well as programming controls systems.
- Validate electric vehicle thermal management controls through rapid control prototyping and testing.
- Develop product performance specifications, interface, and control documents.
- Transition prototype controls systems to production platform.
- Integrate heat transfer controls systems into customers’ equipment controls.
- Assist in developing controls for custom built production machinery.
- Perform related work or job duties as required by supervisor.
- Perform work in a safe manner and follow all safety guidelines and procedures.
- Domestic and international travel required and could include weekend travel depending on the project.
- Occasional weekend work may be required to complete a project.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required for Entry Level:
- Strong mechanical and electrical aptitude.
- Detail oriented and strong initiative.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Knowledge and understanding of vehicle and heavy-duty equipment controls systems and homologation requirements, standards, compliance testing, and qualifications.
- Working knowledge of CAN bus systems and software such as CANalyzer.
- Ability to design, program, and troubleshoot CAN bus systems.
- Working knowledge of PLCs and other types of controllers.
- Ability to understand complex electric and mechanical systems.
- Knowledgeable of engineering drawings, blueprints, and complex technical writing.
- Knowledgeable of refrigeration systems and associated controls.
- Experience with robotics.
- Must be detail oriented and have strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate, in English, effectively and clearly by both written and verbal means.
- Demonstrate maturity, intelligence, cooperation, and discretion.
- Prepare and maintain a variety of related records, spreadsheets, and reports using Microsoft Office Products.
- Experience with AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or similar software.
- Must be able to prioritize responsibilities and handle multiple duties / projects.
- Dependability under both supervised and unsupervised conditions.
- Ability to pass pre-employment physical, drug, and background test.
Minimum Qualifications for Application:
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or similar field with 5 years relevant experience in controls systems.
Understanding of vehicular controls systems including CAN bus networks.
Experience working with battery and/or fuel cell powered equipment.
Experience working with refrigeration and thermostatic controls systems.
Experience working with robotics.
Knowledge of Epicor or similar ERP system.
Experience in Lean Manufacturing, 5S, or Six Sigma.