The Chief of Police will be an innovative and engaging leader who is responsible for overseeing and ensuring the effective planning, organizing, staffing, coordinating, reporting, and budgeting for all aspects of the UW-Stout police department and parking services. The candidate will play an integral role in providing open, transparent leadership that is based on community-oriented policing that emphasizes student engagement, inspires positive morale, and mutual respect. This position works in collaboration with university leaders and community law enforcement partners to promote and apply policy to university principles with a focus on safety, student success, and respect for diversity and inclusion.
This position plays a critical role in parking services and directs the operations of this auxiliary service which includes a part-time parking assistant. In addition, emergency management is critical to the successful operation of the UW-Stout's police operations and the Chief of Police will work directly with the Director of Safety and Risk Management to ensure compliance and preparedness.
Official UW Title Chief of Police (Inst) *link to standard job description QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum / Required
- *Bachelor's degree by employment start date.
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills.
- Must have at least five years of supervisory experience in a law enforcement organization, preferably in a campus environment or in a jurisdiction closely related.
- Must possess or be eligible to possess a Wisconsin Driver's License by the date of hire.
- *Must be certifiable or eligible to be certified by the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board (LESB) as a Police Officer in the State of Wisconsin under DOJ 303 standards by date of hire.
- Master's degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Business Administration, Higher Education Administration, or related fields.
- Executive level of Police Leadership program such as the FBI National Academy.
- *Law enforcement experience in a postsecondary educational setting.
- Knowledge of T2 parking software or similar software system/s.
- *Experience in campus community- oriented parking and parking related customer service.
- Experience in Emergency Management Operations.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing a climate (work environment) that embraces inclusion.
- Reporting to the Vice Chancellor of Business, Finance, and Administrative Services.
- Protecting the safety and property of students, faculty, and staff utilizing a community policing approach.
- Develops collaborative partnerships to implement campus-wide initiatives and changes around public safety as a subject matter expert of law enforcement with knowledge of industry best practices, innovations, solutions, and/or change management processes.
- Work closely with HR and the Dean of Students on situations involving matters of behaviors, care, conflict, and crisis management. Serve as a member of the Behavior Intervention Team.
- Provide Support with emergency planning and response, community outreach, risk/ threat assessment, RAVE emergency alert activation and testing.
- Maintain log and summary information to compile reports and notifications as required by the Clery Act.
- Prepares the Annual Campus Crime Report and other written reports as necessary.
- Manages department personnel including interviewing, orientating, training, scheduling, discipline, and officer evaluation.
- Maintains positive working relationships with local, state, and federal law enforcement and emergency services personnel.
- Oversees all aspects of parking including, staffing, permits, enforcement, planning, capital improvements, and maintenance.
The University of Wisconsin-Stout has a State-certified police agency vested in providing law enforcement services for the university at all times. We actively patrol campus with marked patrol vehicles supported by bicycle and foot patrol officers whenever possible. All officers have met or exceeded the training requirements of the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board. University Police is within the Business, Finance, and Administrative Services Division. The Department of Police and Parking Services provides 24-hour service to the university in the areas of protection, emergency services and law enforcement. University Police Officers patrol the campus and are available to help students, faculty, staff, and guests in need of assistance.
The Stout Police and Parking Services Department is staffed by eight officers, one department assistant, and a part-time parking employee. Our mission: In partnership with students, staff, and visitors, we serve and protect UW-Stout's unique and diverse community. The goal of Stout's Police and Parking Services department is to be a positive resource for students, university members, and community and actively engage in the operations of the university while promoting and modeling community policing and supporting student success.APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS*Complete applications received by end of day, January 21, 2024 are ensured full consideration.
Applications submitted after 1/21st may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
1. Cover letter (**See below)
2. Curriculum vitae or resume
3. Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
**Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900.
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Nate Kirkman
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all of the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Alisha Marburger
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org INSTITUTIONAL OVERVIEW
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Minimum starting salary of $95,000, commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
A successful candidate must pass a complete background check, including criminal history by standards set by the Wisconsin DOJ; medical examination; essential job functions test and drug screen Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position. A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact our Human Resources office, Phone: 715.232.2149.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7) .
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Supervisory