The School of Art and Design at the University of Wisconsin-Stout invites qualified candidates to apply for the tenure-track position of Ceramics and Foundations Assistant Professor. As full-time faculty, responsibilities will include teaching all levels of ceramics and foundations, professional and academic research in the field of ceramics, university service and student mentorship.
The individual hired will be teaching introductory through advanced level ceramics. The candidate will demonstrate ceramic expertise in a broad definition, with the ability to teach wheel-throwing, ceramic sculptural techniques, and mold making. Candidates should also be willing to engage in interdisciplinary or digital processes. Expectations for this position also include studio management and maintenance, collaborative engagement with faculty both in the school and campus-wide, and teaching foundation courses in 3D Design, 2D Design, or drawing as qualified. Students vary from ceramic majors to all levels of art and design students, and other majors taking ceramics as a general education fulfillment.
The facilities are equipped with electric kilns, gas reduction kilns, treadle, kick and electric wheels, a slab roller, extruder, glaze room with a spray booth, damp room and an advanced student work area. UW-Stout has an impressive ceramics facility, and the faculty is responsible for this area. These responsibilities include safety inspections, maintenance, electric and gas fueled reduction kiln firing, clay mixing, glaze mixing, ordering supplies, student worker supervision, and the mentoring of the student Ceramics Guild.
Primary expectations include teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels, creative research, and service to the University. Course delivery is in-person and in accordance with NASAD standards. This is a full-time, 9-month academic year position.
This advertised position is just one of several opportunities the University of Wisconsin-Stout is searching for this year due to continued enrollment growth in the School of Art & Design. Please visit Careers & Jobs to learn about art and design teaching opportunities currently open at UW-Stout.
APPOINTMENT START DATE: August 19, 2024QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum / Required
- Have one of the following by date of hire:
- Terminal Degree such as MFA or PhD (including ABD)
- Master's Degree with 5 years of experience in relevant field
- Evidence of potential for teaching excellence
- Evidence of excellent written and organizational skills
- Interest in advancing student learning in the areas of studio art, ceramics, and art foundations
- Experience in ceramics, including creation, glazing, and firing
- MFA in Ceramics
- Active creative practice through a record of exhibitions, presentations, or other professional research activities
- Expertise in two of the following with familiarity with all three: wheel-thrown pottery, sculptural hand building, mold making/slip casting techniques
- Ceramic studio management experience including glaze and clay mixing, gas and electric kiln operations
- Experience teaching ceramics and art foundations at the college level
- Ability to utilize new and emerging digital technologies
- Interdisciplinary practice/collaboration with colleagues
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population
- Commitment to cultivating a work environment and student experience that embraces inclusion
Note: A terminal degree (M.F.A., Ph.D., etc.) required for promotion to full professor, unless by special exception process. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach introductory through advanced level ceramics
- Teach foundations courses, such as 2D Design, 3D Design, or Drawing
- Lead Role in Ceramics Studio to include:
- Safety inspections
- Maintenance of electric and gas fueled reduction kiln firing
- Clay mixing and glaze mixing
- Ordering supplies
- Student worker supervision
- Mentoring of the student Ceramics Guild
- Conduct student academic advisement and conduct assessment of student learning. This includes contributing to academic program assessment, accreditation, and continuous improvement processes, in collaboration with faculty and staff
- Maintain an active creative practice as a studio artist
- Participate in Department, School and/or University committees
- Foster a rigorous and inclusive learning environment
- Provide support to maintain a healthy and safe classroom environment, and perform other duties as designated by Chair.
The School of Art & Design has over 85 faculty/staff and over 1,300 students, making it the largest higher education art and design entity in the upper Midwest. The School of Art & Design student population accounts for roughly 20% of the on-campus undergraduate population at UW-Stout. Our school serves MFA in Design , eight undergraduate degrees , and six minors .
For more information, please visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/artdes APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONSApplications received by end of day, 1/14/2024 are ensured full consideration.
Applications submitted after 1/14/2024 may be reviewed at the discretion of the search committee.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials :
1. Cover letter (* See below)
2. Curriculum vitae or resume
3. Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
4. Professional portfolio (20 images) with description of each image. If submitting video for professional work, please provide URL(s) to YouTube or Vimeo. You may submit up to five videos, and the total length of each video may be up to three minutes. Please count each video submitted as one of the 20 images for professional work; meaning that one may only have a combined total of 20 samples for one's professional work.
5. Student work portfolio (20 images) with description of each image. If submitting video for student work, please follow the same format stated for professional work.
6. Unofficial Transcripts
7. Teaching philosophy (1-2 pages)
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement. You may speak to preferred qualifications as well.
Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.uwss.wisconsin.edu/21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to provide reasonable accommodation for a qualified individual with a disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Kelly O'Brien
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Stephanie Demers
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org INSTITUTIONAL OVERVIEW
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all people and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate's completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7).
UW-Stout is committed to providing the safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Teaching