Status: Full-time regular position, non-exempt
Pay: $27.59 - $35.87 (depending upon qualifications)
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center/Community Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), 4-day week 10 hour day shift available. Shift may vary based on business need; on-call nights and weekends one week a month is required.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Facilities Supervisor
The Facilities Division is responsible for the daily operations, preventive maintenance, remodeling and long term maintenance programs of the 30 major facilities owned by the City and spaces leased by the City. Total square footage of these facilities is about 1 million square feet. The major facilities include the City Center, Community Center, Senior Center, Water Plant, Utilities Garage, Maintenance Facility, 4 Fire Stations, Building 51, the Den Road Liquor Store, the Outdoor Center, 12 Park Shelters and 5 Historical Buildings. The leased spaces include 2 of the 3 Liquor Stores and the Housing and Community Services space at the Eden Prairie Mall.
The Facilities Technician supports the Facilities Division to ensure smooth operations by performing a wide variety of maintenance duties including carpentry, electrical, doors, furniture, and plumbing. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Ensures consistent performance of City equipment and facilities by assisting building engineers with preventive maintenance including filter and belt changes, greasing mechanical equipment, and temperature adjustments; performs basic energy and lighting management.
- Maintains and improves the appearance and operation of City facilities by performing minor repairs including carpentry, electrical, sheetrock, doors, furniture, plumbing, concrete, and painting; also performs repairs and maintenance on kitchen equipment, pool equipment and fitness equipment; uses a variety of hand tools and power tools.
- Maintains the City ice rinks and pool facilities by performing ice rink refrigeration maintenance, pool maintenance, and ice re-surfacing operations.
- Provides service to customers for effective and efficient execution of City events (i.e. set-up and breakdown of facilities, meeting and event set-up, and assembly).
- Addresses work station needs for current and new employees (i.e. installation of furniture, shelving, and wall-hangings,).
- Supports division cross-function initiatives by developing skills, applying technical knowledge, assisting with projects; trains co-workers and staff in specialized skills.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
City of Eden Prairie Values
We are a service organization. We take pride in what we do. We cultivate a supportive, encouraging and productive culture with a strong customer focus. We promote wellness and plan work/life balance into our goals. We value differences and foster inclusion. We achieve success by exhibiting our core values: collaboration, innovation, integrity, performance and relationships.
Education: Must maintain a valid driver’s license and have an excellent driving record; technical degree in a related field preferred; Certified Pool Operator and Special Engineer Boiler’s License preferred; must obtain Certified Pool Operator and Special Engineer Boiler’s License within first 12 months of employment.
Work Experience: Minimum one year experience in building construction, repair, and/or maintenance of buildings, systems and equipment required; experience with industrial refrigeration, HVAC, boilers, pool operation, ice resurfacing preferred; customer service experience preferred.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to regularly exert 20-100 lbs of force to move objects. Regularly must be able to climb ladders to reach building roofs.
Working Conditions: Combination of office work and field work. Position requires presence inside and outside of buildings in all types of weather and temperature conditions. Occasional driving or riding to other city facilities and meetings is required.
Position Specific Expectations
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Problem Solving: Uses judgment to solve difficult problems in a timely manner; compares possible options; uses reasoning to explain necessary next steps; looks beyond the obvious; challenges the first answer and seeks alternatives; probes several resources to obtain all relevant information.
Technical Learning: Effective at acquiring skills, abilities and knowledge; quickly learns new industry, organization, and product information; has an aptitude for retaining and applying technical information; able to communicate techniques, software or product to others; is a quick study; able to work under tight deadlines and pressure.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for this position:
- Professional Reference Checks
- Background Check and Driver’s License Check (must have valid driver’s license and excellent driving record)
- Education and work history verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the City’s evaluation of the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
City of Eden Prairie Recruitment Timeline
Post Position: 1/19/24
Close Position: 2/5/24 by 4:30pm (central time)
Review Applicants: week of 2/5/24
First Round Interviews (virtual): week of 2/12/24
Second Round Interviews (in-person): week of 2/19/24
Anticipated Start Date: March 2024