On-Call / Casual Status | Flexible Hours | Weekday Coverage & Occasional Weekends depending on client needs
Ecumen Lakeshore is hiring an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The Ecumen Lakeshore community includes 100 independent living and 40 assisted living apartment homes, 20 additional residences for seniors requiring memory care services as well as short-term rehab and post-hospital care private rooms to care for up to 60 patients along the picturesque shore of Lake Superior in Duluth, Minnesota.
Responsible for assisting the Occupational Therapist in providing rehabilitation services to persons with mental, physical, emotional or development impairments and helping clients improve their quality of life by teaching them ways to compensate for limitations.
Essential job responsibilities include:
Occupational Therapy Assistant Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Teaches clients proper techniques (examples: transfer from bed to wheelchair, ways to stretch and achieve limber muscles) following treatment plan developed in collaboration with the Occupational Therapist.
- Monitors clients in performance of activities, provides encouragement, and notifies Occupational Therapist if treatments are not having the intended effect.
- Records client's progress in their Occupational Therapy records, and provides accurate and detailed records of services provided for billing purposes.
- Interviews clients to verify personal and medical information; reviews and records client's medical history and confirms purpose for treatment.
- Ensures cleanliness of work areas and maintains sufficient supplies necessary to provide services; maintains OT equipment according to operating instructions, troubleshoots breakdowns, and initiates calls for repair services as necessary.
- Practices within state licensure requirements and scope of practice.
- Follows guidelines/requirements set by CMS, federal and state regulations and meeting requirements set by other payors (insurance companies).
- Manages and maintains individual license/certification renewals and when applicable other professional certifications.
- Education: Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant (COTA) from accredited program
- Ability to effectively communicate in both verbal and written formats
- Ability to follow all safety rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the facility including but not limited to: Vulnerable Adult and Abuse Policy, HIPAA, Resident's Bill of Rights, Universal Precaution, AWAIR, OSHA, Right to know, SDS, ADA, HUD Policy and Procedures, Fair Housing laws and regulations
- Previous experience working with seniors