The University of Wisconsin-Stout invites applications for a Lecturer position in Video Production.
Primary expectations include teaching at the undergraduate level. Syllabus, typical projects, office space, a laptop computer, class resources and mentorship from area faculty will be provided to support the instructor. This is a full-time, 9-month academic year instructional staff position, with intent to renew. Course delivery is in-person and in accordance with NASAD standards.
This position will support the Bachelor of Science in (B.S) Video Production as well as further interdisciplinary collaboration between faculty and students aligned with other programs across the University, such as the many BFA programs in the School of Art & Design. As a program preparing students for broad sector work within the video production industry, an ideal candidate will demonstrate ability to serve as an authority in at least one area of the degree's professional core curriculum, while demonstrating breadth of ability to service others.
This advertised position is just one of several opportunities the University of Wisconsin-Stout is searching for this year due to continued enrollment growth in the School of Art & Design. Please visit Careers & Jobs to learn about art and design teaching opportunities currently open at UW-Stout.
APPOINTMENT START DATE: August 19, 2024QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum / Required
- Have one of the following by date of hire:
- Master's Degree in relevant field.
- Bachelor's Degree with 5 years of experience in relevant field.
- Experience using industry standard video production tools/software and processes.
- Evidence of potential for teaching excellence.
- Completed terminal degree (M.F.A., Ph.D., etc.) in video production or related field of study.
- Previous experience in teaching, coaching, or mentoring in related field of study.
- Applied knowledge of professional video camera, lighting and audio technologies.
- Applied knowledge of still photographic tools and technologies.
- Interest in or experience with collaborations in classroom, university, and industry settings.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse student populations.
- Commitment to cultivating a work environment and student experience that embraces inclusion.
- Teach Video Production courses each semester, that may include introductory, intermediate, and advanced classes, Motion Graphics and VFX software and processes.
- Teach other studio Photography classes that support the major and the Photography and Video minor.
- Demonstrate organizational skills, collegiality and the potential for future leadership in the Video Production program.
- Collaborate with other faculty to maintain / develop course curricula.
- Foster a rigorous and inclusive learning environment.
- Schedule, maintain office hours and/or online availability for students, in alignment with departmental expectations; including assessment of student learning.
- Provide grades following the process/timeline established by the registrar.
- Participate in the university online learning environment, which includes the Learn@ UW learning management system.
- Participate in early alert and other student success initiatives as requested.
- Work with the Disability Services office ( http://www.uwstout.edu/disability ) to foster an inclusive learning environment, when students disclose the need for learning accommodations.
- Perform other duties as designated by Chair.
The B.S. Video Production program is housed within the School of Art and Design. The interdepartmental approach of the program combines elements of creative storytelling with the digital technologies used in commercial videos, short documentaries, and narrative films. The B.S. in Video Production is a new and fast-growing program, will be entering its sixth year in Fall 2024 and is unique within the University of Wisconsin System. The program's curriculum offers a comprehensive foundation in both visual communication and video production technologies that provide students the opportunity to apply and integrate knowledge acquired through coursework. For more information, please visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/programs/bs-video-production SCHOOL OF ART AND DESIGN INFORMATION
The School of Art & Design has over 85 faculty/staff and over 1,300 students, making it the largest higher education art and design entity in the upper Midwest. The School of Art & Design student population accounts for roughly 20% of the on-campus undergraduate population at UW-Stout. Our school serves MFA in Design , eight undergraduate degrees , and six minors .
For more information, please visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/artdes APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONSTo ensure consideration complete applications must be submitted online by Monday, January 1, 2024.
Screening of applications may continue until the position is filled.
To apply, click on the APPLY button or go to: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/careers-jobs
Required application materials:
1. Cover letter*
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Names and contact information for a minimum of three (3) professional references
4. Unofficial copies of transcripts; official transcripts required at time of hire
5. Professional portfolio: Upload a single, multipage PDF including up to 20 samples of personal / professional video work with brief written descriptions. Inclusion of hyperlinks to video work is requisite.
6. Evidence of potential for teaching excellence: Upload a single, multipage PDF which may include up to 20 examples of student work, syllabi, course materials, development of training materials, academic or industry mentorship outcomes, leadership training, etc. Inclusion of hyperlinks to video work/student sample reel is requisite.
7. Teaching philosophy (1-2 pages)
*Please use your cover letter to speak to each of the Minimum/Required Qualifications for this position as listed above. For each required qualification, describe your relevant experience, using specific examples from your work history to illustrate how your experience satisfies the requirement.
Applicants will need to complete all required fields and attach all required documents prior to submitting the online application.
Note: Once you have attached your materials and submitted your application you will not be able to go into the system and change them.
Before starting the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) available at: https://kb.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=21900
It is the policy of UW-Stout to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance, or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact us using the information below. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual's disability.
For questions regarding this position or recruitment, please contact:
Search Chair: Keif Oss
Phone: (715) 232-1202
If you need assistance with the online application process or if you submitted your application prior to uploading all the required application materials, please contact:
Search Coordinator: Rebecca Rother
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org INSTITUTIONAL OVERVIEW
University of Wisconsin-Stout, Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University, offers an unmatched career-focused education that combines applied learning, theory and research with real-world experience that prepares tomorrow's leaders to drive the future of business and industry. At UW-Stout, our students think and do from day one, and we are proud to produce lifelong learners, ethical leaders and responsible citizens who succeed in a global society.
UW-Stout is recognized nationwide for its operational excellence. We were the first and remain the only full four-year public higher education institution in the nation to receive the Malcolm Baldrige Award, and we are dedicated to a process-improvement model that leverages the power of data and the value of our people. We believe in critical thinking and fact-informed decision making. We pursue sustainability in form and function and collaborate across campus and with our partners to solve problems in industry and society. And providing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for our faculty, staff and students to live, learn and work is a top priority.
We offer 45+ undergraduate degrees, 20+ graduate degrees and 30+ professional certificates in Art, Design & Graphics; Business & Management; Education; Human & Social Sciences; Information Technology & Communications; and Science, Engineering & Math. Our first-class digital infrastructure and learning environments provide our nearly 7,000 students with every avenue to explore and personalize their success. And we invest in people who share our vision to advance our position as Wisconsin's only Polytechnic University and as a regional, national and international leader in higher education.
Be a part of the future at UW-Stout. Learn more at https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us
University of Wisconsin-Stout is located in Menomonie, Wisconsin, a community an hour east of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A pillar of Wisconsin's Chippewa Valley and recognized as one of the best small towns in America, Menomonie provides an idyllic combination of natural beauty, outdoor recreation, boutiques and arts and culture with access to a metropolitan area. For more information about the UW-Stout community and region visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/about-us/our-community ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. UW System provides an excellent benefits package including participation in the Wisconsin State retirement plan, demonstrating our commitment to the diverse needs of our employees.
- Benefit Details: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/download/quickguidefasl.pdf
- Health & Retirement Contributions Estimator | Employee Benefits (wisconsin.edu)
All qualified candidates meeting application requirements will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, UW-Stout welcomes applications from individuals from diverse groups; veterans, individuals with disabilities and from historically excluded populations. UW-Stout provides equal opportunity to all persons and is committed to inclusive excellence. At UW-Stout we value our differences and welcome diverse perspectives as we continually commit to developing an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees and students.
Employment is contingent upon the final candidate's completing a criminal background check and being cleared to work by the Human Resources Office. Employment is also contingent upon the final candidate passing reference checks and an essential job function test, as applicable. The reference check process includes asking the final candidate and most recent supervisor(s) questions regarding sexual violence and sexual harassment. Final candidates with previous employment within the UW System and State of WI agencies will be subject to additional reference checks.
Official transcripts required at time of hire.
In response to a public records request, the University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in their online application, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. sec. 19.36(7) .
UW-Stout is committed to providing safety and security of all members of our community in accordance with the Clery Act. For campus safety information and crime statistics visit: https://www.uwstout.edu/life-stout/police-and-parking/clery-information
Job Family: Teaching